Dissidents Philosophy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dissidents Philosophy Forum

Internet Philosophical Community

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ivan
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Ivan

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2009-01-07

Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution Empty
PostSubject: Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution   Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 4:58 am

Many people considering this issue and the sort of tactics that would lead to liberation would be disinclined to think that violence would be a justifiable means.

It would seem absurd to take up arms, or carry out assassinations and bombings in the name of this cause.

Or would it?

Imagine a gentleman who had been involved in a loving relationship -- but it became exposed, and taking flight from the law, he is forced into a stand-off. Knowing that an unjust prison sentence of decades awaits him if he is taken, the gentleman makes the decision, in anguish, to kill the policeman, in self-defense, escapes and re-unites with his love.

In this light, the gentleman's decision to use violence seems much less absurd --even, justified.

Now, what if the gentleman had not waited until after his affair and flight to use justified violence in self-defense, but had preempted the inevitable injustice that would come on him?

What if he had shot and killed the policeman before instead of after the affair? Would his resort to violence to defend himself from certain injustice be any less justified?

It would seem not.

And with that, what had seemed absurd, now appears reasonable and justified.

Assassinations and bombings kill dead police officers and government officials, prisons and legislatures are blasted apart.

Oh, yes; I know what you're thinking, this is absurd, your freedom, truth, justice and beauty aren't worth defending....

Last edited by Ivan on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Fool
Administrator
The Fool

Male
Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution   Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 9:48 am

I think violence is a necessary action devised to seek independence from others.

Always has been, always will be.
Back to top Go down
https://dissidentsphilosophy.forumotion.com
Ivan
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Ivan

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution   Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Is freedom of sexual orientation and action the sort of thing worth committing violence for? Why or why not?
Back to top Go down
The Fool
Administrator
The Fool

Male

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution   Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 1:25 pm

Ivan wrote:
Is freedom of sexual orientation and action the sort of thing worth committing violence for? Why or why not?

It's all a matter of preference. I don't see why not. People do what they want.
Back to top Go down
Serge
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Serge

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution   Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 1:36 am

You don't worry about being consistent?

Or, about scale?
Back to top Go down
The Fool
Administrator
The Fool

Male

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution   Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:02 am

Serge wrote:
You don't worry about being consistent?

Or, about scale?

In what way exactly?
Back to top Go down
Serge
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Serge

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution   Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 9:41 pm

Should I murder a man who is only blocking my way at a cross-walk?
Back to top Go down
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
Unreasonable

Male
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution   Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:06 pm

Serge wrote:
If he is impolite, then I say yes, duel to the death.
Back to top Go down
The Fool
Administrator
The Fool

Male

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution   Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 10:15 am

Serge wrote:

Why not?
Back to top Go down
Serge
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Serge

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution   Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 7:43 am

I might feel bad about it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution   Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hypothetical Consideration of the Problem of Violence and Revolution
Page 1 of 1