Dissidents Philosophy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dissidents Philosophy Forum

Internet Philosophical Community

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Discussion: Banning

Go down 
+2
Dako
Unreasonable
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
Unreasonable

Male
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Discussion: Banning Empty
PostSubject: Discussion: Banning   Discussion: Banning I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 6:15 pm

Taras wrote:
Dako wrote:
All members should have the power to ban other members, regardless of them being moderators or not. This would be consistent with the American right ot bear arms, and Cold War détente.

Mods?
This sounds like an idea Dako. Let's hand this request on up the chain.

Admin?

maryshelley wrote:
Lets ban all the members.

Taras wrote:
maryshelley wrote:

"`They were learning to draw,' the Dormouse went on, yawning and rubbing its eyes, for it was getting very sleepy; `and they drew all manner of things--everything that begins with an M--'

`Why with an M?' said Alice.

`Why not?' said the March Hare.

Alice was silent."

Every member that begins with an M--!

Dako wrote:
I know who I'd ban...!

Drone wrote:
start to use your power then, dude

ban yourself

Drone wrote:
maryshelley wrote:

that's what would happen if everybody had the power to ban: this place would be left without any user...

maryshelley wrote:
Taras wrote:
maryshelley wrote:

"`They were learning to draw,' the Dormouse went on, yawning and rubbing its eyes, for it was getting very sleepy; `and they drew all manner of things--everything that begins with an M--'

Alice was silent."

Everything that begins with an M.

Moderator.

Satyr wrote:
I say we ban all sock-puppets, beginning with Mcmiserable's latest one.

He wants you to prove your power over him by ignoring him, then he seeks out your withheld attention, under the guise that McMiserable's pessimism is irrefutable.

I would say his pessimism is refuted with every breathe he takes and every move he makes, every single day, every game he plays....I'll be watching you!!!!

Like a whinny little brat.

It's like a Christian demanding refutation for his argument that God exists because all that cannot accept the absurd arguments for Him are suffering from fear of Him, is a good enough intellectual position to merit a serious response.

It's like asking an adult to refute the child's argument that "I know I am, but so are you."
A taunt meant to garner respectability by simply being acknowledged.

Drone wrote:
Satyr wrote:
I say we ban all sock-puppets, beginning with Mcmiserable's latest one.

He wants you to prove your power over him by ignoring him, then he seeks out your withheld attention, under the guise that McMiserable's pessimism is irrefutable.

I would say his pessimism is refuted with every breathe he takes and every move he makes, every single day, every game you play....I'll be watching you!!!!

Like a whinny little brat.

thanks for revealing your true face, Satyr

if you really tried to see, you'd realize that I was ASKING for a refutation to Aidan's pessimism, I wasn't saying that it is irrefutable...pay attention to what you read.

btw, do you like the Police? Great, Sting is the man! lol!
Back to top Go down
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
Unreasonable

Male

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: Banning   Discussion: Banning I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 6:52 pm

My official response:

I think no person should be banned from expressing their mind openly on these forums, no matter what the case, no matter what the cause.

If a person is engaging in Science on the Philosophy forum, though, then I see that I should move their thread appropriately.

If a person is spamming topics for the sake of annoyance, then I would ask them to stop, and possibly consolidate their threads or ban them based on how much trouble they cause me, the Administrator, personally. I mean, I have to spend my time regulating & ruling this place. I respect everybody here who comes here for the reason of philosphizing, but when I am disrespected, then my compassion for you will go out the window. I will ban you if you get on my bad side. And if some of you want to test this, my limits, then do so at your own risk. If you can find the dark side of me, then I will be very pleased of your capabilities for doing so.

In essence, the only time I will be banning anybody will be when they are in gross violation of "the rules".

But, I do not even know what these "rules" are...

If you want to find them, then good luck to you. I wish you the best.

The first person who gets banned from this website, with the exception of posting dozens of topics without relevance to anything, will win a prize.
Back to top Go down
Dako
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Dako

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: Banning   Discussion: Banning I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 5:47 am

maryshelley wrote:
Taras wrote:
maryshelley wrote:

Alice was silent."

Everything that begins with an M.

Moderator.
The Moderator system of chat forums is tyrannical. This is part of how the dominant discourse is overtly maintained in cyberspace.

Drone wrote:
that's what would happen if everybody had the power to ban: this place would be left without any user...

The process would favor those with the fasted connection speeds. Users with dial-up would be so slow on the draw they'd be banned before they could get off a click.

Could there be a 'life for a life' penalty? Vigilantism and mob justice. If someone bans someone else, they themselves will be banned.

And having all your posts wiped out of existence. This was done with Confucian scholars sometimes, their name and all their works are chiseled out of memory.

Unreasonable wrote:
The first person who gets banned from this website, with the exception of posting dozens of topics without relevance to anything, will win a prize.
What sort of prize is that?

Unreasonable wrote:
I think no person should be banned
Respect for life objectified into chatroom rules. So weak.

There needs to be a sacrafice! Unreasonable, without any cause or justification.
Back to top Go down
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
Unreasonable

Male

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: Banning   Discussion: Banning I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 5:54 am

Dako wrote:
Unreasonable wrote:
What sort of prize is that?
I don't know ... would you mind putting up a few gold schillings for everybody??

Dako wrote:
Unreasonable wrote:
I think no person should be banned
Respect for life objectified into chatroom rules. So weak.

There needs to be a sacrafice! Unreasonable, without any cause or justification.
Laughing

That gave me a hearty-laugh, truly...

I am prepared to make sacrifices. However, the real question is: are you?
Back to top Go down
Drone
Animated Voice
Animated Voice

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: Banning   Discussion: Banning I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 5:59 am

that's fair, ban only trolls and spammers...

be a man and don't ban the ones who disagree with you, or whose ideas do not please you

respect freedom of speech.
Back to top Go down
Dako
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Dako

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: Banning   Discussion: Banning I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 6:29 am

Drone wrote:
...be a man and don't ban the ones who disagree with you....
It seems, Drone, that my plan to make you the first victim to the Ban-God has been thwarted -- for now!
Back to top Go down
Drone
Animated Voice
Animated Voice

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: Banning   Discussion: Banning I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 6:50 am

Dako wrote:
Drone wrote:
...be a man and don't ban the ones who disagree with you....
It seems, Drone, that my plan to make you the first victim to the Ban-God has been thwarted -- for now!

your 'plan'... Rolling Eyes

dude, why would UR ban me? what have I done?
Back to top Go down
Dako
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Dako

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: Banning   Discussion: Banning I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 7:08 am

Drone, we all want to be the one to 'take one for the team' and bring truth and justice to the world. I only hope that the gods will choose me as a sacrifice. Muses?
Back to top Go down
Baldassare Cossa
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Baldassare Cossa

Male
Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: Banning   Discussion: Banning I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 3:37 am

Unreasonable wrote:
My official response:

I think no person should be banned from expressing their mind openly on these forums, no matter what the case, no matter what the cause.

If a person is engaging in Science on the Philosophy forum, though, then I see that I should move their thread appropriately.

If a person is spamming topics for the sake of annoyance, then I would ask them to stop, and possibly consolidate their threads or ban them based on how much trouble they cause me, the Administrator, personally. I mean, I have to spend my time regulating & ruling this place. I respect everybody here who comes here for the reason of philosphizing, but when I am disrespected, then my compassion for you will go out the window. I will ban you if you get on my bad side. And if some of you want to test this, my limits, then do so at your own risk. If you can find the dark side of me, then I will be very pleased of your capabilities for doing so.

In essence, the only time I will be banning anybody will be when they are in gross violation of "the rules".

But, I do not even know what these "rules" are...

If you want to find them, then good luck to you. I wish you the best.

Sounds better than democracy. I say aye.
Back to top Go down
Philosopher8659
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

Male
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: Banning   Discussion: Banning I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 12:24 am

"Dako wrote:All members should have the power to ban other members, regardless of them being moderators or not. This would be consistent with the American right ot bear arms, and Cold War détente. "

I have no idea where that came from, but really, does the right to bear arms mean the right to shoot on sight? I personally would take defective merchandise back to the store, even if it were my own mind.

I think a philosophy web site would have the same purpose as the human mind itself, to effect those behaviors that maintain and promote the life of man. Therefore, a functional website, like a functional mind, would create products that maintain and promote life.

Just sitting around and logging aberrant forms of mental behavior just does not have any appeal.
Back to top Go down
https://archive.org/search.php?query=johnclark8659&sort=-pub
imp-pulse
Animated Voice
Animated Voice

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2013-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: Banning   Discussion: Banning I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 1:37 pm

i think much damage has already been done.
wrong and strong. never mind.
maybe it was fun. fun as a last resort?

Discussion: Banning Smiley-killing-himself

\!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: Banning   Discussion: Banning I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Banning
Page 1 of 1