Dissidents Philosophy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dissidents Philosophy Forum

Internet Philosophical Community

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Interview with Magsj

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dako
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Dako

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Interview with Magsj Empty
PostSubject: Interview with Magsj   Interview with Magsj I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:15 pm

Interview with Magsj 0dafead77a9c

Interview with Magsj

Part I

Magsj is one of the most important players in the ephilosophy movement. Little is said philosophically on the Internet that can not be traced back to this stylish yet vulnerable poster. Let's learn something more about her!

How did you get into philosophy? Was this later in life, or did you have the bug right from the time that you were small?

How and when did you get into ephilosophy?

Some of your readers may be perplexed when you write about clubbing and martinis, there is also a quiet and philosophical side to you?

What time of day is best for philosophizing?

You have an important position on you home-ephilosophy site, does that take a lot of work and commitment?

"Is the answer to this question no?"
Back to top Go down
Tor
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Magsj   Interview with Magsj I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 6:37 am

Dako wrote:
Magsj is one of the most important players in the ephilosophy movement. Little is said philosophically on the Internet that can not be traced back to this stylish yet vulnerable poster. Let's learn something more about her!

Important player in ephilosophy? Nah, for we all have something to add to the mix... Cool

Stylish? Indeed I am... Wink

Vulnerable? I don't think so... Evil or Very Mad

Dako wrote:
How did you get into philosophy? Was this later in life, or did you have the bug right from the time that you were small?
I was always day-dreaming/had thoughts running through my mind/was a thinker rather than a talker/was a lover not a fighter - I believe in the power of the mind, and have always had experiences from the more esoteric side of life...

Dako wrote:
How and when did you get into ephilosophy?
I got into ephilosophy on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:59 pm/the day I joined ILP - I was at work/bored, and decided to join a philo forum so that I could converse with (hopefully) like-minds.

Dako wrote:
Some of your readers may be perplexed when you write about clubbing and martinis, there is also a quiet and philosophical side to you?
...it's 'partying and daquiris' not 'clubbing and martinis', but yes, I am not whole unless I do those things during any given week - I am an introvert, so I'd say there's a very quiet side to me, and anyways, what's with the belief that one cannot be philosophical because one parties - what bollocks. Rolling Eyes

Apart from a decent daquiri, I'd also recommend a Thai Mojhito and a classic champagne cocktail: those drinks are lethal, y'all... drunken

Dako wrote:
What time of day is best for philosophizing?
What time of day isn't...? Smile I'm on the philo-tip 24/7-365, baby, but seeing as nobody likes a smart-ass I'm pretty-much on my own, so fuck'em Twisted Evil

Dako wrote:
You have an important position on you home-ephilosophy site, does that take a lot of work and commitment?

"Is the answer to this question no?"
Er, yes - 'No'! Very Happy

Being a moderator is just something I enjoy doing, but I think that one has to learn to adapt from being a poster to being a moderator - I felt I had more to offer than I did as a poster, so I took the leap...
Back to top Go down
Dako
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Dako

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Magsj   Interview with Magsj I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 1:28 am

Interview with Magsj Ec00ba860d60
'Vase in Abstract'

Part II

Some very interesting replies so far. Let's follow up on some of these responses, and dig a little deeper into the mind of a philosopher...

Tor wrote:
Stylish? Indeed I am... Wink
Fashion is thick with philosophy; for those with the inclination to understand the history and references. Do you have a favorite fashion house or designer?

Quote :
I believe in the power of the mind, and have always had experiences from the more esoteric side of life...
Socrates called it his daemon. Are you affected by visions?

And on the same note; over the years, not a few ephilosophers have ended themselves up in insane asylums. Can this be avoided? Is the importance of going right up to madness really so important for philosophers, or is this a romantic notion?

Quote :
...it's 'partying and daquiris' not 'clubbing and martinis', but yes, I am not whole unless I do those things during any given week - I am an introvert, so I'd say there's a very quiet side to me, and anyways, what's with the belief that one cannot be philosophical because one parties - what bollocks. Rolling Eyes
So the image of the withdrawn and ascetic philosopher is something of a misnomer?

There seem to quite a few alcoholic ephilosophers. Are drink and drug necessary for a philosopher who wants to go beyond the mundane?

Quote :
I'm on the philo-tip 24/7-365, baby, so fuck'em Twisted Evil
Is it ever possible for someone to walk away from the philosophy bug. Or is it more like herpes, once you've got it, it's for life?

Many of your readers will know that you are not white. And you are not a man. Has this affected your philosphical development?

What is 'Vase in Abstract' about?
Back to top Go down
Tor
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Magsj   Interview with Magsj I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 11:28 pm

Dako wrote:
Part II

Some very interesting replies so far. Let's follow up on some of these responses, and dig a little deeper into the mind of a philosopher... Fashion is thick with philosophy; for those with the inclination to understand the history and references. Do you have a favorite fashion house or designer?
We are what we wear/portray to the world, for first impressions are everything, and we are continuously being judged on that basis when we meet new people.

I like what Costume National and Marni are doing at the moment, and I have a few of their pieces that I wear when I'm out'n'about - I also have a soft-spot for Fornarina and Diesel.

...but my biggest weakness is shoes/boots Twisted Evil for they can make or break any outfit...

Quote :
Socrates called it his daemon. Are you affected by visions?

Yes.

...and I see them as a burden rather than a curse.

Quote :
And on the same note; over the years, not a few ephilosophers have ended themselves up in insane asylums. Can this be avoided? Is the importance of going right up to madness really so important for philosophers, or is this a romantic notion?
Sure, but this can be avoided by not taking one's-self too seriously, and by expressing the self through living and not just in one's head - I guess that one can only learn what balance is by experiencing both sanity and insanity, and then finding one's niche somewhere along the scale.

I am of balanced mind, but it's my aggression I find myself wrestling with to get under control... Mad

Quote :
So the image of the withdrawn and ascetic philosopher is something of a misnomer?

There seem to quite a few alcoholic ephilosophers. Are drink and drug necessary for a philosopher who wants to go beyond the mundane?
Not a misnomer, no, for one image (partying) does not dismiss the other (ascetic).

I don't think that they are a prerequisite for making a good philosopher, but they certainly help break-up the boredom that life offers up from time to time, and we then get a welcome reprieve Very Happy I don't do drugs, but I do 'do' alcohol drunken the trick is knowing when to stop Wink

Quote :
Is it ever possible for someone to walk away from the philosophy bug. Or is it more like herpes, once you've got it, it's for life?
We live philosophy whether we know it or not, so it will always be part of us/our life...

Quote :
Many of your readers will know that you are not white. And you are not a man. Has this affected your philosphical development?
I am Caribbean and female, yes Very Happy

At first, yes, I found that others hindered me by limiting me due to stereotypes of non-whites/females - booooring Rolling Eyes

I don't have to debate from the stance of ethnicity/gender, but that was what others expected of me/presumed I would do, but life gives us experiences way beyond that of ethnicity and gender Cool

Quote :
What is 'Vase in Abstract' about?
It's a piece I created for my art A-level, and of which I was highly commended for - it's a chalk/charcoal/grey pastel representation of a 3D sculpture that I created from two photocopies of a Picasso original:
Interview with Magsj Pablo-Picasso-Still-Life-with-Pitcher-and-Apples-7613
which I spliced in half, and made into a 3D paper sculpture, which you now see immortilised before you as a 2D representation of the initial 3D sculpture:
Interview with Magsj Ec00ba860d60
'Vase in Abstract'

study There are two more pieces which complete the 'Vase in Abstract' series: a chalk and charcoal sketchbook version, and a blue gouache and pastel A0 monstrosity of a piece.
Back to top Go down
Dako
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Dako

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Magsj   Interview with Magsj I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 7:00 am

Interview with Magsj 60817fe853e7

This is Part III of Interview with Magsj. This has given us an interesting portrait of the inner life (-- outer-life?) of a contemporary thinker and ephilosopher. Let's enjoy our third and final drink from her cup of wisdom, and hope it's not hemlock...

The philosophy of Magsj figures as a monumentality in the development of other's ideas now. How does that feel to be so influential as a teacher?

Independent of the philosophy that goes on, ephilosophy is very concerned with acts and presentation, in the free-style and tempo of street rap, and all the egoism too. America's Next Top Philosopher?

Some of your paintings seem to have a latent eroticism about them? Is that fair to say? How does one's sexuality affect their philosophy? or vice versa?

You recently wrote,

"My last piece was done in 1992, but I've sketched family since then, but only very roughly - I guess I express myself more through photography/capturing-the-moment, these days."

How is it with photography? Is it overdone these days? Have any samples?

Costume National and Marni look conservative, practical; both do have a little more richness of color than one might expect with the sterness of form. You don't walk around in Alexander McQueen. Happy slapping is out too. Nine-to-five and all that?

Can we expect BBS philosophy to go the way of usenet before it? Ephilosophy of the future will be on real-time interactive media?

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Magsj   Interview with Magsj I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interview with Magsj
Page 1 of 1