Dissidents Philosophy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dissidents Philosophy Forum

Internet Philosophical Community

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Czech Republic's practice of surgically castrating convicted sex offenders

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Serge
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Serge

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-01-21

The Czech Republic's practice of surgically castrating convicted sex offenders Empty
PostSubject: The Czech Republic's practice of surgically castrating convicted sex offenders   The Czech Republic's practice of surgically castrating convicted sex offenders I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 12:27 am

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/02/05/czech.castrate/index.html?iref=newssearch

(CNN) -- The Czech Republic's practice of surgically castrating convicted sex offenders is "invasive, irreversible and mutilating" and should stop immediately, the Council of Europe's Anti-Torture Committee said in a report made public Thursday.

The central European country castrated at least 94 prisoners in the 10 years up to April 2008, when investigators from the Council of Europe, a human-rights forum, visited the Czech Republic.

The Council of Europe condemned the practice as "degrading."

The procedure is being performed even on first-time, non-violent offenders, such as exhibitionists, its investigation revealed.

Prisoners have to request castration under Czech law, but many fear they will be jailed for life if they do not, the investigation found.

"In practically all the cases, these patients indicated that their application was at least partially instigated by fear of long-term detention," the report said.
Back to top Go down
kriswest
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
kriswest

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-12-15

The Czech Republic's practice of surgically castrating convicted sex offenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Czech Republic's practice of surgically castrating convicted sex offenders   The Czech Republic's practice of surgically castrating convicted sex offenders I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 5:33 am

Well, let me guess,,,, some pissed off feminists rule in Czech? I have met a few folks that needed such operations without anesthesia,, but daaaaaaaamnnnn that is brutal.
Back to top Go down
Serge
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Serge

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: The Czech Republic's practice of surgically castrating convicted sex offenders   The Czech Republic's practice of surgically castrating convicted sex offenders I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 9:06 am

kris wrote:
...in Czech?

"In cases in which the victim is under 13 years of age, California judges may require first-time offenders to undergo chemical castration.

After a second offense, treatment is mandatory.

In Iowa and Florida, offenders may be sentenced to chemical castration. As in California, treatment is mandatory after a second offense.

Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal signed Senate Bill 144 June 25, 2008, allowing Louisiana judges to sentence convicted rapists to chemical castration."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_castration#Chemical_castration_in_the_United_States
Back to top Go down
kriswest
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
kriswest

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The Czech Republic's practice of surgically castrating convicted sex offenders   The Czech Republic's practice of surgically castrating convicted sex offenders I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 2:05 pm

Ok yea that sucks too but, ,,,,,,would you prefer chemical or getting them chopped off?

I think the difference between theirs and ours is ;theirs is more likely to happen where here its not going to be that frequent. Unless you have a load of stories to back it up I would say the laws here are more for last resort or for those that are brutal and habitual.
Back to top Go down

The Czech Republic's practice of surgically castrating convicted sex offenders
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dissidents Philosophy Forum :: Global News-
Jump to: