Dissidents Philosophy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dissidents Philosophy Forum

Internet Philosophical Community

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Myth of Parental Overlay

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ivan
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Ivan

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2009-01-07

The Myth of Parental Overlay Empty
PostSubject: The Myth of Parental Overlay   The Myth of Parental Overlay I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 8:32 am

The Myth of Parental Overlay 2c0b30333ebc

Someone may have heard a line like,

"There is no safe way for an adult to be in a bed with an infant. None."

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=healthcheck&id=5715093

But..., the reality is, cosleeping is the norm throughout much of the world, and has been for tens of thousands of years.

In fact, sleeping with the parents is the safest place for babies to sleep:

"Total infant deaths (year 2000) [USA]: 28,411

Number of crib-related "accidents"/yr: 50
Number of playpen-related deaths/yr: 16
Number of deaths/yr in adult beds [alone] reported as entrapment/suffocation between bed and wall, headboard, or other furniture, on waterbed, in headboard railings, or tangled in bedding: 18
(With side-rail: 1)
Number of deaths/yr reported as suffocation of unknown cause [alone] in adult bed: 13
Number of deaths/yr in adult beds from prone sleeping [alone]: 5
/yr died from falling out of adult bed [alone]: 4

Number deaths/yr attributed to overlying: 19 *Most are only "suspected".*"

http://www.babyreference.com/Cosleeping&SIDSFactSheet.htm

I frankly can not see where even these 19 deaths were documented, besides 1 Kings, 3:19, despite the pop-media hysteria, there are almost no parental overlay deaths reported in any neutral study of infant or child mortality.

So what's going on? The modern trend towards isolation and alienation? Or that the media loves to scare people, especially with child deaths? Those things are probably part of it, some allege co-sleeping leads to DPD; but there is something exact going on here, there are two groups behind anti-cosleeping propaganda:

1. Ever since tobacco smoke was implicated as a factor in a large number of SIDS deaths, the tobacco lobby began searching for a statistical scapegoat to take the blame for these child deaths.

2. The JPMA (Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association), also known as the crib lobby, stands to earn huge profits if parents are afraid to sleep their infants in their own bed and think it necessary to purchase expensive cribs and toddler beds.

Last edited by Ivan on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Fool
Administrator
The Fool

Male
Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: The Myth of Parental Overlay   The Myth of Parental Overlay I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 9:52 am

Ivan wrote:

The Myth of Parental Overlay 2c0b30333ebc

Someone may have heard a line like,

"There is no safe way for an adult to be in a bed with an infant. None."

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=healthcheck&id=5715093

But..., the reality is, cosleeping is the norm throughout much of the world, and has been for tens of thousands of years.

In fact, sleeping with the parents is the safest place for babies to sleep:

"Total infant deaths (year 2000) [USA]: 28,411

Number of crib-related "accidents"/yr: 50
Number of playpen-related deaths/yr: 16
Number of deaths/yr in adult beds [alone] reported as entrapment/suffocation between bed and wall, headboard, or other furniture, on waterbed, in headboard railings, or tangled in bedding: 18
(With side-rail: 1)
Number of deaths/yr reported as suffocation of unknown cause [alone] in adult bed: 13
Number of deaths/yr in adult beds from prone sleeping [alone]: 5
/yr died from falling out of adult bed [alone]: 4

Number deaths/yr attributed to overlying: 19 *Most are only "suspected".*"

http://www.babyreference.com/Cosleeping&SIDSFactSheet.htm

I frankly can not see where even these 19 deaths were documented, besides 1 Kings, 3:19, despite the pop-media hysteria, there are almost no parental overlay deaths reported in any neutral study of infant or child mortality.

So what's going on? The modern trend towards isolation and alienation? Or that the media loves to scare people, especially with child deaths? Those things are probably part of it, some allege co-sleeping leads to DPD; but there is something exact going on here, there are two groups behind anti-cosleeping propaganda:

1. Ever since tobacco smoke was implicated as a factor in a large number of SIDS deaths, the tobacco lobby began searching for a statistical scapegoat to take the blame for these child deaths.

2. The JPMA (Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association), also known as the crib lobby, stands to earn huge profits if parents are afraid to sleep their infants in their own bed and think it necessary to purchase expensive cribs and toddler beds.

Probally so. I think the biggest reason you are forgetting about is the crying of infants that keeps their parents awake at night.

That's the biggest reason why parents don't have infants sleeping with them.

My biggest annoyance on the subject of infants since we are talking about them is the perception that public breast feeding should be illegal in public or at the very least covered by a blanket because the act is supposedly too obscene for public onlookers. Suspect

The idiocy of supposed morality making what is otherwise natural illegal or indecent. confused
Back to top Go down
https://dissidentsphilosophy.forumotion.com
Ivan
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Ivan

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: The Myth of Parental Overlay   The Myth of Parental Overlay I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 3:58 am

I first though it was about alienating and de-naturalizing the developed-world's population and got into an argument about this with someone. The 1. and 2. above are from reading the small text at the bottom of web pages, in a round about way, the JPMA and Tobacco lobby financed the studies -- and I would guess got the topic onto Opera as well. And being a bit of a BBS fan, (to me) a lot of posts on this subject on parenting forums look very much like plants.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Myth of Parental Overlay   The Myth of Parental Overlay I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dissidents Philosophy Forum :: Sociology-
Jump to: