Dissidents Philosophy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dissidents Philosophy Forum

Internet Philosophical Community

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

supersensual reality

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bugs
Unestablished Ideals
Unestablished Ideals

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-02-15

supersensual reality Empty
PostSubject: supersensual reality   supersensual reality I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 11:55 am

The loss of a grasp on supersensual reality is the major deficiency of our age. Western society is in dior need of the recovery of a metaphysics it can accept. Part of this recovery would depend on a fresh reading of pre-modern thought in order to uncover perrenial wisdom embedded in it.
Back to top Go down
system-hater
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
system-hater

Male
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: supersensual reality   supersensual reality I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 3:10 pm

Bugs wrote:
The loss of a grasp on supersensual reality is the major deficiency of our age.

Explain this "supersensual" reality.

Quote :

Western society is in dior need of the recovery of a metaphysics it can accept.

I assume you mean "dire" need. In any case, western society is in dire need of MANY things. How would any collective "metaphysical" ideology make a difference?
Back to top Go down
Bugs
Unestablished Ideals
Unestablished Ideals

PostSubject: Re: supersensual reality   supersensual reality I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 2:53 pm

Supersensual reality would require an epistemology that is not confined to empiricism. A metaphysical epistemology would be able to deal with values, quality, purpose and meaning. By the way, thanks for the spell check. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
system-hater
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
system-hater

Male

PostSubject: Re: supersensual reality   supersensual reality I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 9:44 pm

Bugs wrote:
Supersensual reality would require an epistemology that is not confined to empiricism.

Too vague.

This still fails to explain anything. "Epistemology" is a broad subject of philosophical thought. You must first dismantle your connotations of how "Epistemology" would correlate to what it is you are trying to explain, much less correlate it to empiricism.

Quote :
A metaphysical epistemology would be able to deal with values, quality, purpose and meaning. By the way, thanks for the spell check. Very Happy

What is a "metaphysical epistemology"?

"metaphysics" and "epistemology" are two separate branches of philosophy. explain to me *in your context* how they are connected to each other.

Most philosophical study, whether it be, "metaphysics" "epistemology" "mind" "ethics" encompass such factors as-values, quality, purpose, meaning.
Back to top Go down
Bugs
Unestablished Ideals
Unestablished Ideals

PostSubject: Re: supersensual reality   supersensual reality I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 10:06 pm

By metaphysical epistemology I meant one that would include ways of knowing other than the prevailing epistemology today. A strictly quantitative, monological, empirical epistemology cannot adequately account for values, qualities, purpose, or ultimate meaning. What we have is scientism that sytematically rejects teleology for example. The result is a growing tendency toward nihilism.
Back to top Go down
system-hater
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
system-hater

Male

PostSubject: Re: supersensual reality   supersensual reality I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 11:54 pm

Bugs wrote:
By metaphysical epistemology I meant one that would include ways of knowing other than the prevailing epistemology today.

All branches of philosophy include ways of "knowing". metaphysics, through the process of analyzing reality/time/existence. Epistemology through the process of analyzing human knowledge and its foundations/purposes.

No form of philosophical inquiry prevails it only "persists" as something established.

Quote :
A strictly quantitative, monological, empirical epistemology cannot adequately account for values, qualities, purpose, or ultimate meaning.

What is this "epistemology"?????????????

You're simply stringing words together.

Try again.

Quote :
What we have is scientism that sytematically rejects teleology for example.

What?

Contradiction.

Teleology is similar to what science is. It is goal-directed and in fact utilitarian in nature. Science doesn't reject anything, it explores, investigates.

By the way, use correct words, monological and scientism don't work.

Quote :
The result is a growing tendency toward nihilism.

This cannot be discussed because you have yet to explain to me your initial contention of why this would be the result in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Bugs
Unestablished Ideals
Unestablished Ideals

PostSubject: Re: supersensual reality   supersensual reality I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 8:30 pm

Some of your criticisms I accept, others are questionable. But, rather than address them one by one, I will start again from a different angle. Let us see if my position becomes any clearer to you.

Taking Christianity as an example of premodern worldview, I will contrast its assumptions with the view of modernity as a means of understanding our situation. Christianity held that reality is ultimately personal, that the workings of the physical universe are beyond human understanding and that way of salvation is via a right relationship with God.

While Christianity was once the dominant worldview in western society, its dominant position was usurped by scientific rationalism. This modern outlook holds that reality is ultimately impersonal, that humans can discover the laws of nature, and that human fulfillment comes through the utilization of these laws.

During the last third of the 20th century a third outlook took shape. Postmodern thinkers doubt that nature is really lawful. They think we canno longer be certain that we are capable of grasping the laws of nature. Not only is reality impersonal, it is quite possibly unknowable as well.

What do you say to this?
Back to top Go down
kriswest
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
kriswest

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: supersensual reality   supersensual reality I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 5:23 am

If we can't know reality then how do we manage to function?
Back to top Go down
Bugs
Unestablished Ideals
Unestablished Ideals

PostSubject: Re: supersensual reality   supersensual reality I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 8:24 pm

Under a veil of illusion.
Back to top Go down
imp-pulse
Animated Voice
Animated Voice

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2013-03-10

PostSubject: Re: supersensual reality   supersensual reality I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 10:03 am

supersensual reality Loadin11

a veil is a veil.
illusions are consequences of malinformation cluttering the mind.

otherwise, give us the parameters you each intend to work with.

supersensual reality Napoleon

block list extended?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: supersensual reality   supersensual reality I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

supersensual reality
Page 1 of 1