Dissidents Philosophy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dissidents Philosophy Forum

Internet Philosophical Community

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Living with no regrets?

Go down 
+2
MagnetMan
system-hater
6 posters
AuthorMessage
system-hater
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
system-hater

Male
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Living with no regrets? Empty
PostSubject: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 5:06 pm

I have heard this phrase "live with no regrets" used by people many times in my life, and as of late i have been hearing it more. In the past, i usually dismissed it as a societal invented declaration that people enjoyed throwing around to gain some false sense of rebellion, or perhaps merely FEEL that they have a unique character apart from others.

Now however, I wish to know more about this phrase and if it doesn't contain a deeper meaning. Is it possible to live with no regrets?

Does someone have the ability to enlighten me more to this particular expression?

Perhaps it is simply an empty axiom of society's creation, but IF there is something more interesting about it i would like to know.
Back to top Go down
MagnetMan
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
MagnetMan

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 5:22 pm

To be human is to err
Learn
and move on
Back to top Go down
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
Unreasonable

Male
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 5:45 pm

Do not dwell on the past.

"Get over it."

"Move on."
Back to top Go down
Drone
Animated Voice
Animated Voice

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 5:48 pm

system-hater wrote:
I have heard this phrase "live with no regrets" used by people many times in my life, and as of late i have been hearing it more. In the past, i usually dismissed it as a societal invented declaration that people enjoyed throwing around to gain some false sense of rebellion, or perhaps merely FEEL that they have a unique character apart from others.

Now however, I wish to know more about this phrase and if it doesn't contain a deeper meaning. Is it possible to live with no regrets?

Does someone have the ability to enlighten me more to this particular expression?

Perhaps it is simply an empty axiom of society's creation, but IF there is something more interesting about it i would like to know.

what is there for us to regret? We're not guilty of our existences...we're not guilty of being what we are...
Back to top Go down
system-hater
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
system-hater

Male

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 11:27 pm

Unreasonable wrote:

"Get over it."

"Move on."

MagnetMan wrote:
To be human is to err
Learn
and move on

A trivial societal phrase. I thought so. Thank you gentlemen. In hindsight this probably would have been more suitable for the conversation forum. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
MagnetMan
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
MagnetMan

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 9:44 am

MagnetMan wrote:
To be human is to err

system-hater wrote:
A trivial societal phrase. I thought so. Thank you gentlemen. In hindsight this probably would have been more suitable for the conversation forum. Oh well.

Trivial social phrases
do not become entrenched moral adages

There are entire philosophical constructs behind them
which I presumed you were intuiting when you made your OP

So too are there entire life experiences
behind the answers given
Back to top Go down
Sonofgloin
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Sonofgloin

Male
Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 6:14 pm

system-hater wrote:

SH there are certainly people who context the phrase in that way, if I may add bravado to rebellion I believe we would encompass that thought segment. The phrase when used by these people is principally to reasure themselves that the loss (and regrets always mirror a loss) is manageable, a pressure valve if you will.

Quote :

Sociopaths live with no regrets, it denotes lack of empathy, but for the rest of us regret is either a personal admonishment or a psychological placation to an act we have commited or witnessed.

Our psyche decides what is regretfull and what is not and given that regret can foster sorrow and self re evaliation it has been a major psychological force in mankinds history.

What we as individuals regret is the marker of our social consciousness, and we have the ability to rank outcomes in terms of regret relative to our mind set.

Re the hearing of regret more often now, the young have very few regrets that they espouse primarily because of the boundless perceived opportunity they envision, so regrets are not focussed on. Whereas the matured human views the loss as greater than opportunity available. Perhaps it is your evolving social set.
Back to top Go down
system-hater
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
system-hater

Male

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 11:24 pm

MagnetMan wrote:
There are entire philosophical constructs behind them
which I presumed you were intuiting when you made your OP

Yes that was the original intention i had for the thread, but this:

Quote :

To be human is to err
Learn
and move on

Quote :

"Get over it."

"Move on."

Doesn't enlighten me to a deeper meaning about the phrase other than the superficiality that i already knew about it.
Back to top Go down
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
Unreasonable

Male

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 11:30 pm

What is a regret other than something that defines you as a failure?
Back to top Go down
system-hater
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
system-hater

Male

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 11:42 pm

Sonofgloin wrote:
The phrase when used by these people is principally to reasure themselves that the loss (and regrets always mirror a loss) is manageable, a pressure valve if you will.

Placation? Is that all there is to it? I can placate myself by saying im "perfect" without using a phrase.

Quote :
Sociopaths live with no regrets,

Not exactly, an abberent person may regret ANYTHING, not simply heinous acts of social viciousness. You don't need to be callous or emotionally hollow to lack an ability to regret. ANYONE can regret ANYTHING.

Quote :
it denotes lack of empathy, but for the rest of us regret is either a personal admonishment or a psychological *placation* to an act we have commited or witnessed.

Placation, there it is again. And once again, why should a phrase be needed for self-placation?

Quote :
Our psyche decides what is regretfull and what is not and given that regret can foster sorrow and self re evaliation it has been a major psychological force in mankinds history.

I don't think "regret" simply apllies to "guilt" as you are venerating it does.

Quote :

Re the hearing of regret more often now, the young have very few regrets that they espouse primarily because of the boundless perceived opportunity they envision, *so regrets are not focussed on*.

So, it's used as a way to avert our attention away from things that we wouldn't originally want to dwell on? Hm. See I just do not see why using a phrase is needed for that. It's just unessesary and quite frankly a bit annoying.
Back to top Go down
system-hater
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
system-hater

Male

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 11:47 pm

Unreasonable wrote:
What is a regret other than something that defines you as a failure?

Is that the true purpose of regret? Do we not feel like failures when we don't regret anything? For example, if i do not accomplish a life goal such as climbing Mount Everast, but i do not CARE about it in any way at all, i.e. having no regrets about it, wouldn't i still be a failure?
Back to top Go down
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
Unreasonable

Male

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 11:52 pm

system-hater wrote:
Is that the true purpose of regret?
I believe the true purpose of regret is to acknowledge your mistakes and to correct them.

But in that regard, it defeats the common notion of 'regret' which is endlessly-dwelling on the mistake, becoming depressed.

system-hater wrote:
Do we not feel like failures when we don't regret anything?
I don't regret anything at all and I don't feel like a failure at all. Is it a coincidence? I don't think it is...

system-hater wrote:
For example, if i do not accomplish a life goal such as climbing Mount Everast, but i do not CARE about it in any way at all, i.e. having no regrets about it, wouldn't i still be a failure?
Not necessarily.

Regret implies that you actually-intended to climb Mount Everest.

If you never really-cared, then you never actually-intended to climb it.
Back to top Go down
system-hater
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
system-hater

Male

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 12:10 am

Unreasonable wrote:
I believe the true purpose of regret is to acknowledge your mistakes and to correct them.

But in that regard, it defeats the common notion of 'regret' which is endlessly-dwelling on the mistake, becoming depressed.

So ultimately the phrase doesn't imply living without regrets at all but simply assists us to FORGET our failures and rectify our dispositions. Than the phrase is superfluous, and only allows for self-placation as i stated in response to sonofgloin's post.

So the phrase would most likely be more apporpriate as: "Live with regrets, but learn from them".

unreasonable wrote:
Regret implies that you actually-intended to climb Mount Everest.

If you never really-cared, then you never actually-intended to climb it.

Hm, i can agree with this. But do you think it is possible to live without regrets *AT ALL*? as the phrase implies?
Back to top Go down
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
Unreasonable

Male

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 12:54 am

system-hater wrote:
But do you think it is possible to live without regrets *AT ALL*? as the phrase implies?
Yes I do.

By saying I regret something is saying I would go back and make my decision toward a different end.

When I live without regrets; I do not necessarily-think that way because it is potentially-destructive.

I could have done this or that, this or that, this or that. By realizing the mistake for what it is, I do not need to "dwell on it", contemplating the possibilities. Instead, I acknowledge my decision as a mistake. Therefore, if I were to go back, then I would *NOT* make another choice because the 'mistake' defined me and my identity. If I take away the mistake, and fix the so-called regret, then I would contend that is not learning from your mistake at all. That is not making a mistake in the first place, which is vastly-different than crying over spilled milk. Instead of crying, I will wipe up the spilled milk, and I will plan to prevent myself from doing it over-and-over again. I do not regret spilling the milk the first time, even though it was a mistake. I learned from it, and that is precisely-why I do not regret spilling the milk the first time nor would I necessarily do it a different way. (because I would have not learned how to fix the mistake if it was not for its first instance or occurrence)
Back to top Go down
Sonofgloin
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Sonofgloin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 1:55 am

system-hater wrote:

Placation? Is that all there is to it? I can placate myself by saying im "perfect" without using a phrase.

You suggested that the phrase is used as an expression of rebellion, well that action placates an emotion, does it not.

Quote :
Sociopaths live with no regrets,

Not exactly, an abberent person may regret ANYTHING, not simply heinous acts of social viciousness. You don't need to be callous or emotionally hollow to lack an ability to regret. ANYONE can regret ANYTHING.

The verbalising of regret and the emotion regret are not similar. Sociopaths feel no compunction to regret as they feel no emotive ties to any one but themselves. They ofcourse identify and react to disadvantage, but emotive regrets they have none.

Quote :
Placation, there it is again. And once again, why should a phrase be needed for self-placation?

We verbalise our feelings for social acceptance and to placate our own emotive needs. Thankyou, see I did it then.

Quote :
I don't think "regret" simply apllies to "guilt" as you are venerating it does.

If you read every word of my reply you will see that I mentioned the act or witnessing of an act, obviously if you are a by stander and had no part in the event you would feel no guilt, but you may regret the events that you witnessed.

Quote :
So, it's used as a way to avert our attention away from things that we wouldn't originally want to dwell on? Hm.

Hm,hm,hm,hmhmhmh,hmhm,hm,hm, If you string enough hm's together you get a tune, but no sense.
Back to top Go down
system-hater
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
system-hater

Male

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 12:57 pm

Unreasonable wrote:
system-hater wrote:
But do you think it is possible to live without regrets *AT ALL*? as the phrase implies?
Yes I do.

By saying I regret something is saying I would go back and make my decision toward a different end.

When I live without regrets; I do not necessarily-think that way because it is potentially-destructive.

I could have done this or that, this or that, this or that. By realizing the mistake for what it is, I do not need to "dwell on it", contemplating the possibilities. Instead, I acknowledge my decision as a mistake. Therefore, if I were to go back, then I would *NOT* make another choice because the 'mistake' defined me and my identity. If I take away the mistake, and fix the so-called regret, then I would contend that is not learning from your mistake at all. That is not making a mistake in the first place, which is vastly-different than crying over spilled milk. Instead of crying, I will wipe up the spilled milk, and I will plan to prevent myself from doing it over-and-over again. I do not regret spilling the milk the first time, even though it was a mistake. I learned from it, and that is precisely-why I do not regret spilling the milk the first time nor would I necessarily do it a different way. (because I would have not learned how to fix the mistake if it was not for its first instance or occurrence)

Ok i see. So by awknowledging a mistake as simply a mistake, that may propell you to understand it as a lesson learned. Period. But if you "dwell" on the mistake, regret surfaces. So it is the "DWELLING" itself that evokes the regret, and the "LEARNING" that keeps it at bay.

But tell me something unreasonable, have you regreted ANYTHING in your lifetime whether, as a child, adolecent or adult? And i have a point to this question i assure you.
Back to top Go down
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
Unreasonable

Male

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 1:21 pm

system-hater wrote:
But tell me something unreasonable, have you regreted ANYTHING in your lifetime whether, as a child, adolecent or adult?
I have absolutely-no regrets in life, whatsoever. I am 100% honest about that.

Looking back on my life, I would choose the exact same path that got me to where I am now.
Back to top Go down
system-hater
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
system-hater

Male

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 1:31 pm

Unreasonable wrote:

Looking back on my life, I would choose the exact same path that got me to where I am now.

Ok. the reason i asked, was to determine if it was possible to GROW UP having no regrets at all. Either way i have learned that there is indeed some truth to this phrase.
Back to top Go down
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
Unreasonable

Male

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 1:40 pm

I am happy to do my part in your quest for truth.
Back to top Go down
MagnetMan
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
MagnetMan

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 7:15 pm

My life is full of regrettable mistakes
sure I learned from them
and they have put me where I am now
but given the chance
it would do much of it differently
Back to top Go down
Sonofgloin
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
Sonofgloin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 11:50 pm

Unreasonable wrote:
system-hater wrote:
But tell me something unreasonable, have you regreted ANYTHING in your lifetime whether, as a child, adolecent or adult?

U, the child regrets nothing in real terms as the concept is foreign to them, the adolescent has 7 years to rack up regrets and the adult (fully aware of the concept) has 50 years to chalk up regrets. You at 25 have absolutely no regrets, good work. Although you are 5 years into a 50+ year stint of adulthood, I believe you have time to propagate a few. So get out there and fail and loose occasionally, it brings you perspective.
Back to top Go down
imp-pulse
Animated Voice
Animated Voice

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2013-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 2:18 pm

cogito, ergo sum:

i can live without regrets once i know the difference between destruction and deconstruction.

ergo: as a man thinks in his heart, so is he.

only ignorance is utterly regrettable.  Living with no regrets? Old_la10

p.s. http://copy-shake-paste.blogspot.de/

Living with no regrets? Hase_i10

Back to top Go down
imp-pulse
Animated Voice
Animated Voice

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2013-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 10:57 am

\!!

maybe that's why the op's input has developed the charm of an earworm ....?

http://www.borgplay.at/2013/02/5c-ohrwurm/

http://asknrj.com/what-is-the-difference-between-regret-and-repentance/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Living with no regrets?   Living with no regrets? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Living with no regrets?
Page 1 of 1