Dissidents Philosophy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dissidents Philosophy Forum

Internet Philosophical Community

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What is Philosophy?

Go down 
+2
Sappho AD
Unreasonable
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
Unreasonable

Male
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2008-12-13

What is Philosophy? Empty
PostSubject: What is Philosophy?   What is Philosophy? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 1:08 am

What is Philosophy?

Reexamine the sentence. I pose a question to you. This is the basic attitude of Philosophy.

Most children are curious about the world; there can be no doubt about this. It is true; it is accepted; it is necessary. The reason why children seek to know the Truth of Things is because unlike all other living entities, association to the ultimate & absolute Truth of Things guarantees power. This is akin to standing aside God and basking in the benefits of such warmongering with the Winners of History, the West, our Civilization. But what about God-Himself? -- And what about Man? There is a difference in how one man philosophizes compared to his contemporaries. One man wants to sit next to a god. Another man wants to become a god-himself. One man suffices himself with leftovers (i.e. deviant reasoning). Another man suffices himself with nothing-else except the Best, or, the Good.

Will you eat from a dumpster, from the garbage? Will you eat from a restaurant, from the slaughtered cow? I choose the latter.

Call this notion "personal preference" if you will. Call it "an opinion" if you must. Nothing runs contrary to the fact that everybody, every child, and everything wants to become God. Nevermind the impossibilities. Nevermind the implications. Nevermind the sacrifices that associates an Individual-self with Power. Philosophy is a weapon; it is a learning tool. Few will ever master it. Few know how. Think of the children already-cited above in my examples. A child is curious: he or she asks a question: "What is Philosophy?" Or better yet, mommy, daddy, "What is anything at all?" Can you tell me? Do you know? Or have you-yourselves become seduced to our Sociality? These are the Necessary Questions. And the Necessary Answers manifest themselves as the definitive & singular Absolution of Pain. The Truth Hurts; never forget this fact my children.

What is Philosophy? Who knows? Who has the Authority to say what is or what is not, except God, or except perhaps a living god?

Who masters Reason? Who masters Reasoning?

I can keep asking questions as I please. I suffer a fate that is not pleasant: rejecting what your parents tell you, to the extreme. My parents taught me lessons. My father taught me the best lesson of all: "Do not accept to be lesser than what you are, Proud". I have heard somebody else say before, probably on the ILP forum, "The Philosopher is the child that never stops asking questions". If that is what a Philosopher is, then let us become 'real' philosophers here & now. Again, I ask *YOU* ... What is Philosophy? Do you know? Do you know more than I? Do you even know *ANYTHING* at all?

Step forward then. Present your case. Prove your point. Do you have a penis? Do you have a pair of balls?

This is the name of the game: Philosophy. What is it? Tell me as if I were an infant. Tell me as if I were a child.

Expose your blaringly-clear, undeniable, and irrefutable Ignorance of the World, to me. Hope that I do not laugh at you in private.

It cannot be said that Philosophy is for the weak-minded; it is not. It is only for the strong-minded, a stubborn will. It is not until stupidity 'seeps in' that you become stupid. Until then, your ignorance can & will expose-itself freely to a mind superior to your own. Look at what you say, the questions you ask, the responses you type, and the answers you give to others. Do you question their affects, the affects of your own questions? Almost nobody does. Almost nobody is capable of abstracting the implications of their owned-actions, because, the Common Man does not own his actions. In this day & age, the Common Man is a coward, an average man. This is the situation to which Philosophy-itself must now endure, a setting where the low has sunk down to the bottom.

There is nowhere to go but up, here & now. There is nowhere to go except to remove ourselves from our shared-stagnation.

I say: Let the ignorance destroy itself. Let Reason begin again.

Begin with a question; end with a question.

What say you?
Back to top Go down
Sappho AD
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
Sappho AD

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: What is Philosophy?   What is Philosophy? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 3:20 am

I've always thought of philosophy as the pursuit of wisdom.
Back to top Go down
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
Unreasonable

Male
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What is Philosophy?   What is Philosophy? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 4:32 am

Sappho AD wrote:
I've always thought of philosophy as the pursuit of wisdom.
What is wisdom?

Albert Einstein wrote:
Morality in the sense here briefly indicated is not a fixed and stark system. It is rather a standpoint from which all questions which arise in life could and should be judged. It is a task never finished, something always present to guide our judgment and to inspire our conduct. Can you imagine that any man truly filled with this ideal could be content:-

Were he to receive from his fellow men a much greater return in goods and services than most other men ever receive?

Were his country, because it feels itself for the time being militarily secure, to stand aloof from the aspiration to create a supra-national system of security and justice?

Could he look on passively, or perhaps even with indifference, when elsewhere in the world innocent people are being brutally persecuted, deprived of their rights or even massacred?

To ask these questions is to answer them!
Back to top Go down
coberst*
Unestablished Ideals
Unestablished Ideals

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: That’s philosophy for ya!   What is Philosophy? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 4:41 am

That’s philosophy for ya!

At birth an infant has a minimal innate arithmetic ability. This ability to add and subtract small numbers is called subitizing. (I am speaking of a cardinal number—a number that specifies how many objects there are in a collection, don’t confuse this with numeral—a symbol). Many animals display this subitizing ability.

At birth an infant and many other creatures have the ability to reason in a minimal way. To reason is to infer and to infer requires that a neurological structuring conducive to inferring is necessary. Thus to reason is to conceptualize and to infer. Conceptualizing is the creation of neural structures that make inferring possible.

To infer is to make very simple ‘if then’ decisions. Two ‘if then’ examples are ‘if A is true and B is true than C is true’ and ‘if A or B is true then C is true’. You can think of these as ‘and’ gates and ‘or’ gates. These two very simple inferences make it possible for us to do the reasoning that we do. If you examined your computer you would discover that these two simple inference ‘gates’ makes up your computer. All of the complex things that your computer can do results from these two simple elemental inference terms.

An infant can do math and an infant can reason. Of course, we all know that our ability to do math can go far beyond this simple innate ability. Likewise, our ability to reason can go far beyond this simple innate ability.

The philosophy department in college offers a course called Logic 101. Logic means principles. Logic 101 teaches the principles of reasoning. Every person should know the knowledge contained in Logic 101 but since few people were taught this they need to learn this on their own. If our schools did not teach arithmetic all citizens would be well advised to get a book on arithmetic and learn it on their own. Such is true also about reasoning; Logic 101 is the principles of reasoning. Just like math reasoning has vast complexities and possibilities for helping us live our lives

Who is the judge? I am the judge for me and you are the judge for you. One cannot hide from this truth and it is a no brainier that each of us is well advised to become as proficient in this matter as possible.

The Catch-22 is that the person who has little learning regarding this matter is the person most in need of self-study of this subject. In other words, the person with the least ability in making good judgments is the person who will make the judgment as to whether to spend the effort and time in acquiring the knowledge required to make good judgments.

Each of us makes many judgments every day. Each judgment made has some affect on our life. There are bad judgments, good judgments, and better judgments. The more ‘better judgments’ we make in our life the better our life will be, generally speaking.

Physics is about knowledge and is about objects in our world. Philosophy is about understanding and is about meaning that we impose upon the world of objects.

Understanding is a confluence of emotion and reason and happens rarely. It is a long step beyond knowing and is a synthesis of knowledge. When we do philosophy it is like the jazz player who integrates knowledge with emotion and plays the meaning that he or she understands. This understanding is not necessarily related to truth except that it is a synthesis of knowledge.

Physics is about knowledge concerning objects that can be measured. Knowledge is about truth, i.e. about how reality is. Philosophy is about meaning; it is an attempt to understand the world as an object of meaning; it goes beyond that which can be measured. Philosophy does not deal only with factual knowledge. Philosophy creates meaning which has no truth value in the sense that physics does. Philosophy is not merely a word game but neither is it a natural science that attempts to speak to the nature of reality.

Philosophy is a jazz solo. When we study philosophy we learn what the greatest minds have to say about these matters and from this knowledge we can get an idea of how we can do likewise.

CT (Critical Thinking) is philosophy lite. This is what philosophy means to me.

What does philosophy mean to you?
Back to top Go down
Philosopher8659
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

Male
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-07-04

PostSubject: Re: What is Philosophy?   What is Philosophy? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2014 9:48 pm

Damn,

If the mind has a single job to perform, a single means of doing that job, in order to produce a single product, then it would seem that the same idea may have many names. Each name is a grasping in the darkness trying to figure out what our job as mind is, and how it is that we are to do it.
Philosophy is one of many names which men tender along their path of self-realization.

There are two, and only two primitive branches of reasoning, each based on one of the elements of a thing, each commensurate with one of a predicate pair, material and form. I call the one branch Logic, and the other Analogic. The principles of language are the same for either branch. One branch has one element as a given and the other which must be either applied or supplied, just like the other, they only start with a different element as a given.

With that out of the way, I can say that our method of doing our job is language. Our product is, as covered by the definition of an environmental acquisition system of a living organism is, as Plato tried to get people to understand, the production of human will. Human will is a product, all human behavior is not human will. Human will is a product of language, both branches, logic and analogic.

Now, since people are not taught the principles of language yet, they are unaware that all right human behavior is derivable from the principles of language itself.

Nor do they realize that discourse has for its function, the modification of human behavior, behavior aimed at the production of human will.

Yet, and I have done this, if one engage in discourse with someone, the expectation is more often than not, NOP, no operation performed. One can actually get kicked off many sites today simply by stating that they are looking for someone to accomplish specific goals with, especially if those goal are aimed at the salvation of mankind.

What is the salvation of mankind? Well, if one has paid attention-if the mind has a specific job to perform like any other environmental acquisition system of a living organism, and if, like any other environmental acquisition system if it does not produce its product, the organism dies, then it becomes clear that the salvation of mankind was once put into a very concise statement,
In the beginning was the Word, i.e. principles of language, and the Word was God, and the Word was with God.

Notice the Two-element metaphysics, i.e., logic and analogic implied in that statement. Teach oneself first to think, and pass it on. That is Philosophy.

Many believe that a heap of words is language. If this is so, any action of man is human will. This is pure rubbish.
Back to top Go down
https://archive.org/search.php?query=johnclark8659&sort=-pub
kaiouti
Unestablished Ideals
Unestablished Ideals

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-06-24

PostSubject: Re: What is Philosophy?   What is Philosophy? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 2:12 pm

Philosophy is the reasons behind our choice.
Back to top Go down
Jonathan Ainsley Bain
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-02-16

PostSubject: Re: What is Philosophy?   What is Philosophy? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 9:33 am

The only choice we have, is to think further, or to stop thinking, because we always make what we believe to be the best choice. But we cannot know if there is a better choice available until we try and think about the further choices we have not yet considered.

To think or not to think, that is the only question we can choose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is Philosophy?   What is Philosophy? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is Philosophy?
Page 1 of 1